Labour MP Sam Tarry has been deselected by his local members – the first time one of the party’s MPs has been ousted this way in more than 10 years.

The former shadow transport minister faced the ballot in his Ilford South constituency after local branches voted in favour of the re-selection process

Mr Tarry lost by 499 to 361.

It means he will not be able to fight for the seat as the Labour candidate at the next general election, with local members choosing the leader of Redbridge Council, Jas Athwal, to replace him.

Mr Tarry said he was “incredibly disappointed in this result – mostly for all my committed volunteers and the wonderful people of Ilford South”.

He also said he would issue a further statement tomorrow “on the process and outcome”.

Mr Athwal also released a statement saying it was “a real honour” to be chosen, adding: “Ilford is my home, it is where I live, went to school and where my children all went to school. It is the only place I would ever want to represent.

More on Labour

“Today means Ilford can focus on the future and ensure that Westminster delivers for Ilford, that Ilford gets the investment it needs and deserves.”

He also had the support of shadow health secretary Wes Streeting – the MP of the neighbouring constituency, Ilford North – who called it “a resounding victory that reflects his lifelong commitment to this borough and his outstanding leadership for Redbridge Labour”.

He added: “His is an Ilford story – the boy who came from the Punjab and built an education, successful businesses, and a wonderful family here.”

Mr Tarry hit the headlines over the summer after he was sacked from Labour’s frontbench for giving TV interviews from a picket during the rail strikes.

Leader Sir Keir Starmer had banned the shadow cabinet from attending strike action, but the party claimed Mr Tarry was removed for not clearing the interviews or policy positions with the team before going on air rather than his attendance.

Mr Tarry only won his seat in the 2019 general election. Mr Athwal was meant to stand for the seat that year but he was suspended by the party over a serious allegation – he was later fully cleared.